What are Leisure & Lifestyle Services?
Develop new skills and build your confidence.
Our Leisure and Lifestyle Services are an opportunity to develop new skills and build your confidence in a supportive social environment. Group activities are designed to suit every person – regardless of your goals, age or level of vision – with elements tailored to suit your individual needs.
Benefits can include:
- Building your confidence
- Developing skills for independent living
- Experiencing new activities or rediscovering past hobbies
- Getting active and participating in the community
- Meeting new people and connecting with friends.
All Guide Dogs clients are welcome to participate in our Leisure & Lifestyle activities. We also offer a specialist Carers’ Group to support anyone who is caring for a Guide Dogs client.
Life Skills Camp
Learn the value of leadership and teamwork.
Our annual Life Skills Camp supports children and teenagers living with vision impairment to work towards their personal goals for improved independence, confidence and wellbeing, while learning the value of leadership and teamwork.
Once per year, during school holidays, students aged between 10 and 18 from across South Australia and the Northern Territory are invited to participate in this life-changing experience. Our specialist team works with students to identify their goals and practice independent living skills through occupational therapy and orientation and mobility training.
In addition to helping students achieve their goals for improved confidence and independence, the camp offers young people a unique opportunity for social inclusion and community connection.
Camp highlights include:
- Practising navigating unfamiliar environments
- Experiencing new technologies and transport options for the future
- Practising road crossing training and public transport training for greater freedom of mobility
- Independently planning, shopping and preparing meals
- Trying new sports, games and activities to build confidence and teamwork
- Getting creative with tactile arts and crafts experiences
- Building confidence, meeting new friends and making memories to last a lifetime.
Music Appreciation Group
Connect with fellow music lovers.
Our monthly Music Appreciation Group is open to all Guide Dogs clients and brings people together to celebrate the ways that music enhances health and wellbeing. The group is suitable for all music lovers, regardless of age, musical ability, or preferred genre.
Activities include performances by talented local artists, discussions led by guest speakers, quizzes and trivia, karaoke and more. All you need to get started is a passion for music and the wish to connect with fellow music lovers in a relaxed social environment.
- When: 1:30pm – 3:30pm on the second Thursday of every month
- Where: Guide Dogs, 251 Morphett Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
Join a close community of fellow carers.
When you’re caring for someone else, it’s common to put your own needs last. Our monthly Carers’ Group offers an opportunity to rest and reset in a supportive and compassionate group setting.
The group is open to anyone caring for a Guide Dogs client who has vision impairment or autism, and offers the chance to connect with people who can relate to your daily experiences. Share information, access resources, make new friends, and provide mutual support within this close community of fellow carers.
Participants in our Carers’ Group also have the opportunity to attend a twice-yearly Carer’s Retreat, providing a chance to connect, share experiences and focus on your own health and wellbeing.
- When: 10:00am – 11.30am on the first Monday of every month.
- Where: Guide Dogs, 251 Morphett Street, Adelaide, SA 5000.
"The happy hour sessions are very helpful, inspiring and motivating. I have recently lost my vision and joining the sessions has been a fantastic way to meet other people and share each other’s thoughts, feelings and experiences. I feel very reassured and supported in this group. I have learnt so much about managing life after vision loss through the discussions in this group."
Get involved with Guide Dogs
In addition to our existing Leisure & Lifestyle Services, we are currently developing a range of exciting initiatives to enhance your social connection, community participation and skills for daily living.
If you would like to know more about Guide Dogs’ Leisure & Lifestyle Services, please contact our Client Services team:
Ask for help
Enquire about our services
Register your interest below and our team will contact you with more information:
Access other support
Enhance your wellbeing.
We offer a full range of specialist support to enhance your independence and wellbeing. In addition to our Leisure & Lifestyle Services, you may benefit from:
- Adult Mobility: Develop skills to get around your home and community safely and with confidence, at every stage of life.
- Guide Dog Mobility: Partner with a Guide Dog and participate in Guide Dog Mobility training to become more confident moving through life.
- Children’s Services: Whatever milestones your child or teen wants to achieve so they can feel happy and confident, our vision specialists can offer training, encouragement and support.
- Low Vision Services: Receive specialist assessments, support and advice to ensure your lifestyle and environment are optimised to suit your level of vision.
- Occupational Therapy: Work with Occupational Therapists to identify personal goals and learn practical skills to achieve them. These can include cooking, caring for your family, living independently at home, and managing your own financial transactions.
- Neurological Vision Service: If you’ve experienced a change in vision through accident or injury to the brain, explore new skills for new life circumstances with our Neurological Vision Service. Maximise your remaining vision, learn to move through different environments and communicate with people in the community.
- Assistive Technology: Access Assistive Technology training to make life easier. Whether it’s your smartphone or a specific aid like GPS devices, improve your confidence with technology that suits your needs.